Friday, April 3, 2009

Crackers for Aber Dabers - Part 3

Doo doo de doo...

Oh Hi, didnt see you there. How's things? Ok? Wife? Kids? Good, Good...

Geeees pushy much?

OK then! On with the show.

The desert in the height of summer... what am I going to do with myself for a whole month, you ask? Well let me show you one of the events I am most looking forward to, and I suspect Mrs pOWENed is dreading, mostly because she gets carsick.
She got carsick on bendy backroads in the Hunter Valley... while she was driving. Ahh good times.

The subject of today's wet dream:
Hmm, the Jabel Hafeet Mountain Road




















I want to have it's babies.

11 Kilometres of silky smooth almost deserted blacktop rising up 4000 feet up the highest peak in the United Arab Emirates. 60 corners from fast sweepers to hairpins, perfect for an aussie leadfoot.

At the top? Nothing, a small cafe, hotel and an apparently deserted palace. Sounds perfect!

So, you know what we need now... A Car! No problems, dial up the rental companies.

Ok, a few problems, acres of crappy American luxo-barges or tiny wheezy econo-boxes. Not a sports car in sight!
Oh look, here we go, Sports class... *click*









VW Tiguan... err FAIL

Ok there is a Mustang but I may as well take a luxo-barge up the mountain towed by a team of Toyota Yaris' (Yarises?) for all the fun that will be.

Looking a little further I can find 911's, M3's and R8's but at $600 a day, think Ill have to pass. Now if it was an Aston Martin though...

The best so far is an SLK 200, really though, a convertible in the desert in the middle of summer? Who's mad enough to put the top down? you'd be ready to be basted and turned by the end of the block.

At this rate, I'll be running up the mountain making **vroom vroom** noises.

I shall not fail, I will have something fun to drive up this beautiful road and present you with photos from the top or the wreck... whichever comes first ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment